Who is Fairmount Soccer:
The Fairmount Soccer Association is a youth soccer association for boys and girls, ages 2 through 16 primarily serving the Fairmount, Center City, West Philadelphia, South Philadelphia, Society Hill, and Queen Village communities of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. (A player’s age is determined as of August 1 of the current fall registration. For example, if a player turns 14 on August 15, the player is still considered to be 13 for soccer, and plays at the Under-14 level.)
What is our mission:
Fairmount Soccer’s mission includes teaching all the physical and mental skills required to thoroughly learn and participate in all aspects of soccer, promoting good sportsmanship and encouraging life long participation in the sport of soccer, as well as instilling self-confidence through participation and accomplishment, as a member of a soccer team. The Association runs Toddler programs for U3 and U4 age groups, Intramural programs for children ages U5 though U16, an intramural Academy program for U8 and U9 kids, and a Travel Division for children ages U10 through U16. The Traveling Division competes against teams throughout the Greater Philadelphia Region.
Our Nonprofit Status:
The Fairmount Soccer Association is a Nonprofit, Tax Exempt association under IRS rule 501(c)(3). Membership in the Association is not restricted by virtue of race, creed, religion, national origin, ethnic group or sex. The Association is a member of the Eastern Pennsylvania Youth Soccer Association and is affiliated with the United States Youth Soccer Association and the United States Soccer Federation.
Our Constitution and Bylaws:
Our Constitution and Bylaws; Rules and Regulations (101K) are always available for review by any member of the Association. To download a copy of them in Adobe Acrobat, pdf format just click on the link above. You will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader to read the file. To obtain the Adobe Acrobat Reader click here.
Why We Are Playing Small-Sided Soccer:
- Because we want our young players to touch the ball more often and become more skillful with it!
- Because we want our young players to make more, less-complicated decisions during the game!
- Because we want our young players to be more physically efficient in the field space they are playing in!
- Because we want our young players to have more individual teaching time with the coach! Fewer players on the field and fewer players on the team will guarantee this!
- Because we want our young players to have more involved playing time in the game which gives them more opportunity to solve problems that only the game can present!
- Because we want our young players to have more opportunities to play on both sides of the ball!
- Because we want our young players to have more opportunities to score goals giving them more excitement!
These reasons will help promote the player’s:
- Individual technical development
- Individual tactical development
- Understanding of how to reduce field size
- Importance and worthiness
- Critical decision making
- Understanding of attacking and defending
- Excitement for the game
- FUN environment of the game.*
* We have quoted Tom Goodman, Director of Coaching Education, US Youth Soccer, for much of the above explanation of “Small-Sided” soccer.